Ryan Furgurson is an experienced trial attorney who specializes in transportation law, products liability, employment law, and commercial litigation. He defends clients in the transportation industry and other industries against employment discrimination claims brought under various federal and states laws including Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and whistleblower claims under the FRSA and STAA. He also represents employers in the transportation, hospitality and retail industries in the defense of workers compensation claims. His practice includes representation of utility companies, product manufacturers and other large companies in all manner of personal injury and property claims. He also represents individuals and companies in eminent domain proceedings, business disputes and other commercial litigation.
His practice includes representation of utility companies, product manufacturers and other large companies in all manner of personal injury and property claims. He also represents individuals and companies in eminent domain proceedings, business disputes and other commercial litigation.
Mr. Furgurson has a variety of litigation experience, including several years at a large regional law firm representing Fortune 500 companies and local businesses alike in commercial disputes and defense of tort claims. He also served as an Assistant Attorney General for the Attorney General’s Office in Richmond, Virginia, representing judges, police officers, universities and other state officials in tort claims and civil rights claims arising under 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
Mr. Furgurson is active in the community, serving on the Board of Directors for FC Richmond Youth Soccer Club. He also served for several years as the Chair of the Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Pro Bono Legal Clinic.
- Trial counsel for Norfolk Southern Corporation for FELA and FRSA claims
- Trial counsel for Amtrak in personal injury and premises liability claims
- Trial counsel for Michaels Stores in defense of personal injury and workers’ compensation claims
- Trial counsel for Omni Hotels in defense of personal injury and premises liability claims
- Trial counsel for Gold’s Gym in personal injury and commercial litigation
- Trial counsel for The Salvation Army in defense of employment discrimination claims
- Trial counsel for numerous trucking companies in defense of personal injury claims
- Represented various agencies of the Commonwealth of Virginia in personal injury, property damage and professional liability cases.
- Represented clients in complex commercial disputes, including Lanham Act litigation and contractual disputes
- Represented numerous manufacturers and distributors in products liability and mass tort litigation
- Represented insurance carriers and policyholders in insurance coverage disputes.
- Obtained defense verdict for commercial landlord in toxic mold case
Emory University School of Law (J.D.)
Duke University (B.A., Political Science)
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS:
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2006
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia, 2006
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, 2004
BAR ACTIVITIES AND LEGAL ASSOCIATIONS:
Virginia Bar Association
Richmond Bar Association
National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
BAR AND PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS:
Member of The Virginia Hospitality and Travel Association
Member of the National Retail and Restaurant Defense Association
SEMINARS AND PRESENTATIONS:
“The Anti-Coercion Rule: Understanding the Rule and Avoiding Claims of Coercion,” presentation to the Virginia Trucking Association, April 2016
“Understanding and Complying with DOT Hours of Service Regulations,” presentation to the Virginia Movers and Warehousemen’s Association, Summer 2016
“Overview of Virginia Workers Compensation Law and Procedure,” presentation to adjusters and claims representatives in retail industry, Fall 2015
“Defending Whistleblower Claims under the Surface Transportation Assistance Act,” presentation to the Virginia Trucking Association, Fall 2015
Presentation on “The Advent of Whistleblower Litigation,” Virginia Trucking Association Safety Management Conference, April 2015